featured rentals in Babe's Beach Neighborhood
Babe's Beach Neighborhood
Babe's Beach Neighborhood Amenities
Galveston Beaches and Attractions Nearby
Galveston Restaurants and Bars Nearby
Babe's Beach Neighborhood
Babe’s Beach Neighborhood is a mix of residential and commercial establishments all with one thing in common, access to one of the best beaches in Galveston. You can find condos, apartments, single-family homes, multi-family homes, long-term rentals, short-term rentals, high-rises, sit-down restaurants, fast food restaurants, grocery stores, clothing stores, and so much more in this area. You are almost self-sufficient when you are in Babe’s Beach Neighborhood.
A Brief History
The beach is named after A.R. “Babe” Schwartz, a former Texas legislator and Galveston County Judge who was instrumental in the establishment of the Texas Open Beaches Act, ensuring the public has free and unrestricted rights to access Texas beaches. The Beach was completed in 2016 and dedicated to A.R. Schwartz on March 25, 2016.
Lake Madeline derives its name from the picturesque body of water at its heart, Lake Madeline. The neighborhood’s history is intertwined with the broader historical narrative of Galveston Island, known for its resilience in the face of natural disasters. Lake Madeline’s history includes periods of development and growth, and over time, it has become a sought-after residential area, attracting both year-round residents and those seeking vacation homes.
One of the most significant historical events that affected the area was the devastating 1900 Galveston Hurricane, a Category 4 storm that resulted in widespread destruction and loss of life. In the aftermath of this catastrophe, the construction of the Galveston Seawall and the raising of the island’s elevation began as part of efforts to protect against future hurricanes.
Types of Houses in the Babe's Beach Neighborhood
The neighborhood has a wide variety of residential living throughout. Toward the South end, along Seawall Blvd, there are several condo options that offer amenities like pools, tennis courts, and stunning ocean views. Condos in the area start from upper $200s and offer amenities like controlled access, pools, cable and internet, recreational facilities, and more. Lake Madeline subdivision has a mix of single-family bungalow residential styles as well as multi-family residential housing types. Many of the homes were built in the 1950s with some distinct architectural styles. The community is designed around a beautiful lake that helps to create a meandering flow through the neighborhood, keeping away from the block-type or grid-style neighborhoods elsewhere on the island.
Where you'll be!
Condos Near Babe's Beach Neighborhood
Babe's Beach Neighborhood Real Estate
Nestled within the coastal haven of Galveston, Texas, Babe’s Beach Neighborhood offers a harmonious blend of residential and commercial establishments, all sharing a common privilege – access to one of the most pristine beaches in the entire Galveston region. Within this vibrant community, you’ll discover an array of housing options, including condos, apartments, single-family homes, both short-term and long-term rentals, high-rises, along with a wide spectrum of conveniences such as sit-down restaurants, fast-food joints, grocery stores, clothing boutiques, and much more. In essence, when you step into Babe’s Beach Neighborhood, you’ll find yourself in a self-contained world of convenience and coastal charm.
The Breakers Condos: The Breakers of Galveston, constructed in 1985, is an exquisite 14-story high-rise condominium strategically positioned at the intersection of 77th Street and Seawall Boulevard. All units at The Breakers bless their occupants with breathtaking views of the Gulf of Mexico from their front balconies. The property is distinguished by its outstanding amenities, including a refreshing pool, a relaxing hot tub, a recreation room, cable TV, and high-speed wireless internet. Whether you’re a full-time resident, a weekend visitor, or a seasonal snowbird, you’ll undoubtedly appreciate The Breakers’ meticulously maintained grounds and the warm, welcoming atmosphere it exudes.
The Owners Association imposes maintenance fees at a rate of 79.6 cents per square foot for each unit. These fees efficiently cover exterior building maintenance, on-site management services, meticulous landscaping maintenance, water and sewer services, trash removal, extended basic cable television, pest control, and comprehensive building insurance coverage.
Dawn Beach Condos: The Dawn Condominiums form a beautifully designed gated campus, distinguished by an enchanting array of pastel colors that collectively evoke the essence of spring and summertime pleasures on Galveston Island. Comprising 175 condominium units, The Dawn ranks among the largest condominium complexes on the island, offering a blend of short-term rental units for memorable vacations and long-term leases for individuals with extended business commitments. Two splendid swimming pools, an inviting outdoor spa, and a range of upscale amenities add to the already famous easygoing lifestyle synonymous with The Dawn.
The Dawn Condominiums occupy a 7.06-acre campus atop the Galveston Seawall, just across the street from the majestic Texas Gulf Coast. The diverse range of accommodations includes one and two-bedroom units, with some boasting lofts. Square footage at The Dawn varies from 751 square feet to 2334 square feet, culminating in a grand total condominium square footage of 170,625, solidifying The Dawn’s position as one of the largest condominium complexes on Galveston Island. Technologically advanced, The Dawn boasts Internet routers supporting a minimum of 200 Mbs Internet service and High Definition (HD) TV in all campus units as standard offerings. Furthermore, the routers in all units are Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP) capable.
Originally established in 1996 as a luxury apartment complex, The Dawn underwent a complete refurbishment and transition to condominium units after the ravages of Hurricane Ike in 2008. The owners of The Dawn represent a diverse group of individuals who relish an upscale living environment complemented by a plethora of amenities, including two picturesque swimming pools, a soothing hot spa, a well-equipped fitness center, and a Clubhouse designed to host both intimate gatherings and larger social events.
The location of The Dawn offers the added convenience of proximity to family-oriented venues, including Schlitterbahn Water Park (a mere 1.8 miles away), home to some of Texas’ most exciting water attractions. Just 1.6 miles from the condominium complex lies Moody Gardens, renowned for its world-class aquarium. The world-famous Pleasure Pier, featuring a majestic ferris wheel and thrilling roller coasters, is a short 2.5-mile drive down Seawall Blvd. And of course, the pristine beach is just a few steps away, accessible across the iconic Seawall Boulevard. Whether you’re a vacationer seeking a family retreat or a tranquil escape, or a prospective owner searching for a sound investment and a place to embrace family life, The Dawn Condominiums welcomes you. Prepare to be enthralled by the pastel colors and the effortless coastal living experience it offers.
The Ocean Front Galveston Apartments: The Oceanfront Galveston Apartments proudly claim the distinction of being the sole apartment complex in Galveston where every patio treats its residents to a stunning waterfront vista of Galveston Beach. Situated along the famous Seawall Boulevard, these beachfront apartments present an ideal vacation rental opportunity, complete with direct beach access to the Gulf of Mexico. Additionally, they are conveniently located just minutes away from Galveston Island’s Pleasure Pier and Schlitterbahn Water Park. These luxury apartments provide residents with a choice between furnished and unfurnished units, making them particularly attractive to students attending the University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB) or Texas A&M (TAMU) at Galveston, who appreciate the convenience of swift and hassle-free move-ins. Moreover, short-term rentals cater to employees at UTMB Health who desire a quick commute.
The 1 and 2-bedroom apartments at The Oceanfront Galveston Apartments offer modern waterfront living spaces characterized by open, spacious designs. These apartments have undergone significant upgrades, including the installation of granite countertops, elegant hardwood plank flooring, custom crown molding, and gourmet kitchens equipped with stainless steel appliances. Additional comforts include ample oversized closets, ceiling fans, open living and dining areas, and private patios or balconies. The community offers residents access to a wide range of amenities, including a full-sized tennis court, a 24-hour fitness center, a barbecue grilling station sheltered beneath a pergola, and complimentary garage parking. If you’re seeking the ultimate beach lifestyle, look no further than The Oceanfront Galveston Apartments. Schedule a tour today and embrace the finest aspects of beachside living.
Gulfwind Apartments: At Gulfwind Apartments, our commitment goes beyond merely renting apartments. The moment you step through our front door, you’ll instantly feel the comfort and security that make our residents genuinely happy to call us home. Our community boasts cutting-edge amenities, meticulously maintained grounds, and a dedicated staff that collectively uphold a higher standard of living. Gulfwind’s strategic location offers residents the convenience of nearby shopping, award-winning schools, local museums, parks, and sponsored activities that provide opportunities to develop new hobbies and foster neighborly connections.
Driftwood Apartments: Nestled in a picturesque location just off the Galveston Seawall, Driftwood Apartments redefine the concept of relaxing homecomings. As you enter one of Driftwood’s impeccably designed one and two-bedroom apartment homes, you’ll instantly experience the pleasure of calling a beach retreat your personal sanctuary. Our newly renovated apartment homes are a visual delight, featuring upgraded interiors that are sure to impress. Revel in luxuries such as exquisite faux wood flooring, remarkable upgraded cabinetry, elegant brushed nickel hardware, and gourmet kitchens complete with stainless steel appliances. Modern conveniences within your home include generously-sized closets, ceiling fans, open living and dining spaces, and private patios or balconies. Additionally, you can unwind and rejuvenate by our tropical resort-style pool. Our community amenities also encompass two convenient clothes care centers, a leisurely dog walking trail, and a gourmet coffee bar in the clubhouse.
15 Things To Do in Babe's Beach Neighborhood
- Explore the Attractions: Start your visit with some fun at the Batting Cages where you can swing for the fences. See who can sink a hole-in-one at Magic Carpet Golf. Or challenge everyone to a race at the Galveston Go Karts and Fun Center.
- Stroll Along the Pier: Take a leisurely walk along one of the two iconic Piers nearby. Both Galveston Fishing Pier and Galveston’s 61st St Fishing Pier are open 24 hours, weather permitting, and offer tackle gear for rent. Catch dinner for the family or just enjoy the view.
- Beach Time: Relax on the sandy shores of Babe’s Beach, one of the best beaches in Galveston. Sunbathe, build sandcastles, or take a dip in the Gulf waters.
- Eat at the Restaurants: Babe’s Beach Neighborhood boasts a variety of dining options like Texas Pit Stop BBQ for the best Texas BBQ, or some authentic Italian cuisine from Sapori. Breakfast is served all day every day at the American Classic Waffle House. If you are looking for a quick bite there is Sonic Drive-in, McDonald’s, and Popeye’s, among many others.
- Shop for Souvenirs: Explore the shops and boutiques on the pier and in the surrounding area. Find unique souvenirs, beachwear, and local crafts.
- Visit Moody Gardens: Just a short drive from Babe’s Beach, Moody Gardens offers attractions like an aquarium, rainforest pyramid, and botanical gardens, making it perfect for a family outing.
- Learn at the Bryan Museum: Discover the rich history of Texas through art and artifacts at the Bryan Museum, located nearby.
- Go Fishing: Try your hand at fishing from the many jetties, which are listed in the Guinness Book of Work Records as the longest jetties on the planet, or book a fishing charter for a deeper sea adventure.
- Explore Galveston’s Historic Downtown: Take a short drive to the historic downtown area, where you can explore charming streets lined with Victorian architecture, art galleries, and unique shops.
- Haunted Tours: Galveston is known for its haunted history. Join a haunted tour to learn about the island’s ghostly legends and spooky stories.
- Experience History: Visit the Galveston Historic Seaport and experience the Ship to Shore exhibit, learning what it was like for some of the early immigrants to Galveston after a long voyage at sea.
- Water Activities: Enjoy various water sports such as jet skiing, paddleboarding, and parasailing along the coast.
- The Grand 1894 Opera House: Catch a live performance at the historic opera house, which hosts a diverse range of shows throughout the year.
- Galveston Island State Park: Explore the natural beauty of the island at the state park, which offers hiking trails, birdwatching, and a chance to observe local wildlife. If you fish from shore you do not need a fishing license. If you would like to acquire a fishing license you can find fishing license retailers through the Texas Parks and Wildlife website.
- For the Ultimate Adrenaline Rush – Skydive Over Galveston: See Galveston from high above like never before, and experience the rush of traveling at 120 miles per hour, until you pull the parachute and glide down at a peaceful 30 miles per hour, truly enjoying a scenery like no other. Book your skydiving adventure today with Skydive Galveston!